Thursday, September 15, 2016

Needs More Conflict

I've been working on writing the next Aledan Series novel for a few weeks now.  Most of the key scenes are written, but now I need to go back and flesh it out. Lara's story came together pretty well, although it still needs some work. Brother Jamerin's story kind of falls flat.  He's got some hot love scenes, and that's about all.

There is not enough conflict and not enough inner turmoil. He's such a good boy and a really good man---and he's BORING. Boring is the kiss of death for any novel. So I need to go back and rethink him. He needs to be a bit of a bad boy and Lara needs to be more assertive.

As children they are not enough trouble. They need to create more drama and I'm not quite sure where that's going to come from.

Even though I don't generally outline and do written character sketches, I have a plan with a beginning, a middle and an end.  I've already written the beginning, middle and end. Now they need polish, lots of polish. I could throw it in the drawer if I still typed my manuscripts on paper like in the olden days.  Or even pen and ink before I could afford a real typewriter.

I no longer expect to finish in time for a Christmas release.  I might finish the first draft by Christmas.  It won't be ready to publish though. I should have already started promoting a Christmas release.

Instead, I will be promoting my box set of the first four Aledan novels because I want the fifth novel to be the best one yet when I release it. 

All Four Aledan Novels for Just $1.99 Here

No comments:

Post a Comment