Sunday, April 30, 2017

Adventures in the Writing Business I



In July, it will be two years since I published my first novel The Aledan, a scifi romance set in the distant future, at Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). I learned about direct electronic publishing, perusing Amazon’s website from something and learned that I could self publish my books purely by accident---for FREE!  All I had to do was upload the files and create covers.

Basically, anybody can use a computer and word processing program can do it. KDP gives you the instructions, and KDP is not the only direct publishing company that allows individuals to publish their work free of charge.  You’re not limited to publishing electronically either. In addition to publishing my Aledan Series on Kindle, I published them in paperback as well through CreateSpace an Amazon related company. You can publish free there also---IF you do all the work of editing and formatting yourself.

How can it be free? No books are printed until there is an order. Your book is stored electronically until someone places and order and pays for it. The price is determined by the cost of printing the book, and profit margin.  When you submit your book and it’s approved, they determine their cost and state the minimum retail price you should sell the book for to cover their cost and give you a small royalty on the sale of each book. CreateSpace allows the author to buy their own printed books at cost plus shipping whether you order one or one hundred. This includes proofs.

So, I published five novels that took me years to write. It wasn’t something that I did on a whim overnight. I had to do major rewrites on all of them to reflect the technological changes that happened in the years since I started them. Before I discovered direct publishing, I spent years submitting work to traditional publishers.  All I had to show for that work was a pile of rejection letters and a pile of rejected manuscripts.  The times my work was accepted, the companies folded before anything was published.

That doesn’t necessarily mean I’m a bad writer. In part, it means the traditional publishers didn’t think publishing and marketing my book would meet their required profit margin. If they agree to publish your work, they pay someone to proof read and edit it. Then they pay to print and advertise it. A traditional publisher has a great deal of money invested before a book ever goes on sale.
Being a self-published author means you either must pay someone to edit and market your book; or you must do all that yourself. The cost can run into thousands of dollars. The hardest part for me is always the proof reading my own work, where typos in other people’s work may as well be highlighted.  When I find them, I sometimes will send a polite email and give the author the location of the typo so they can fix it and upload the corrections. I have corrected and uploaded my own books a few times.

Do I make lots of money publishing my own work? No, but it keeps me from being bored with retirement.   

To learn more about direct publishing visit the KDP website https://kdp.amazon.com .


No comments:

Post a Comment