Thursday, April 20, 2017

Review of Alien Mate by Cara Bristol


Quoting the blurb from Amazon:
"I'm Starr Elizabeth Conner. Earth's government falsely convicted me of a crime, packed me on a ship with other female felons, and sent us to Dakon, a primitive, frozen wasteland of a planet. Why? Earth needs minerals, and Dakon is desperate for females.
But I'm no barbarian’s 'mail order bride,' even if he is super tall, muscular, and the chief of his tribe. He doesn’t want a BBW blonde, either--it's written all over his chiseled face. He'll be truly angry if he ever learns what my 'crime' was.
I am Torg. I have waited 34 rotations for a mate of my own. With this shipment, I was sure to get a fine, sturdy mate who'll bear me many daughters. Instead, I receive a small, curvy, pale-haired female who looks at me with anger and fear.
It is only when we 'kiss' that I believe things may work out between us. But I'm hearing rumors that Starr and her shipmates are law-breakers. To survive, Dakonians must obey all laws … or be exiled into the frozen wasteland. Just when I have found her, will I have to send my mate to die?"
The blurb above put me in mind of how law breakers were sent to settle Australia in the early days of colonization and the mail order brides of the 19th century.
Dakon, a post modern world set back to the stone age by an asteroid, was discovered to be rich in illuvian rocks. These rocks are converted to power on Earth and the barbarian society on Dakon is happy to give Earth those rocks in exchange for women to help them repopulate their world. The powers that be use this as an opportunity to get rid of 50 female convicts by sending them to Dakon to be mates of the barbarians.
Wrongly convicted of murder, Starr Connor was the only woman who hadn't volunteered.  It was that or prison. Starr is a curvy blue eyed blond of 5’3” and the last to be chosen by the chief of his camp who is late for the choosing. Starr sees his disappointment when he first arrives, but then Torg is just happy to have a mate.  She thinks he doesn't want her because she is a BBW. He is tall, and strong, and handsome and kind.  Starr finds herself falling for him as he carries her to his camp when she falters in the deep snow, cold and wet. She is thrilled when he tells her she is too skinny.
Cara Bristol has put a new face on an old story, telling it in a way that has enough surprises so that it’s not predictable. It’s told in first person in alternating points of view between Starr and Torg. It’s just a great story with interesting characters.  Without giving away any spoiler, I liked the way the relationship developed between Starr and Torg and the steamy sex.
It kept me turning the pages and wishing for more story when it ended. It you’re into Alien Romances, don’t pass this one up. It was a great read.

Chris Myers
 Copyright © 2017
All rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment