Sunday, October 30, 2016

Why I Switched Back to KDP Select on Amazon

Over the past month, sales of my Aledan Series are not happening. On advice from other blogs I tried issuing my eBook series on Smashwords and Kobo.  In six months I had exactly one sale on Smashwords. In order to publish with other organizations Amazon does not allow your book to be read by Kindle Unlimited subscribers. In addition, I discovered that while excluded from KDP select, I could no longer arrange giveaways for any of the series.

Previous giveaways actually sparked a few sales, particularly of my box set of all four Aledan Novels at $1.99. Otherwise, I have plugged the series on Google, Facebook and Twitter as well as my own websites. But sales just aren't happening.

Now I know my writing is not terrible even though everyone doesn't like my style. Enough people have told me they like my books to make me believe they are saleable. So I can only think they are not being found by the people who enjoy this type of story. Or they may not read eBooks. For that reason I am working on making them available in paperback through CreateSpace. KDP is now offering print on demand paperbacks, but have not yet begun to offer proof copies and author copies.

Once one has tried publishing and marketing their own work, it becomes clear why it is so hard to get commercial publishers to buy your book and do all the rest of the work of editing and marketing. If they pick wrong, they don't get any return on their investment. 

While I am still waiting to make a profit, my investment hasn't caused any financial hardship. I've kept my prices low to encourage people to give my books a try. Now that they are back on KDP select, I am offering the box set of all four novels FREE for everybody Nov. 4-7.

Get it HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment